What is a wage subsidy?
A wage subsidy is a government financial incentive of up to $10,000 (GST inclusive) that is available to qualifying businesses that employ eligible job seekers.
Payments are available over a six month period.
What wage subsidies are available?
You can access the following wage subsidies when you employ eligible job seekers through an employment services provider:
- Restart wage subsidy – up to $10,000 (GST inclusive) when you hire eligible mature age job seekers who are 50 years of age and over.
- Youth Bonus wage subsidy – up to $10,000 (GST inclusive) when you hire eligible job seekers who are 15 to 24 years of age.
- Youth wage subsidy – up to $6,500 (GST inclusive) when you hire eligible job seekers who are 25 to 29 years of age.
- Parents wage subsidy – up to $6,500 (GST inclusive) when you hire an eligible job seeker who is a principal carer parent.
- Long-term unemployed and Indigenous Australians – up to $6,500 (GST inclusive) when you hire a long-term unemployed job seeker who has been registered with employment services for 12 months, or an Indigenous Australian job seeker who has been registered with employment services for six months.
- Wage Subsidy Scheme-up to $1500 plus GST when you hire eligible job seekers
Is my business eligible?
Your business is eligible for a wage subsidy if it:
- has an Australian Business Number
- has not previously received a wage subsidy for the same job seeker
- is not an Australian, state or territory government agency.
- What types of jobs can I offer?
- The job can be full time or part time and needs to be:
- for a minimum of required hours per week averaged over the six months of the agreement
- meets the employment standards for the position (for example, is suitable work and pays as a minimum the national award wage).
Apprenticeships and traineeships are also eligible for wage subsidies.
The job cannot displace an existing employee, be a commission based, subcontracting or self-employment position, or work for an immediate family member.
Who can I hire?
To receive a wage subsidy the job seeker you employ must be registered with an employment services provider, such as jobactive or Disability Employment Services or Community Development Programmes
Other eligibility requirements are based on a job seeker’s circumstances. Talk to your local employment services provider for more information.
How do I apply?
Talk to us today about how we can assist you to access government wage subsidies.